Friday, December 30, 2011

DIY: Ombre rhinestone earrings!

happy almost new year!


Almost. And by almost I mean tomorrow is New Year's Eve. And by that I mean I'm going to have to dress up and look classy and wear jewelry. Seriously, what's that about? Anyhow, that means only one thing: it's earring-making time!



I've had these pink rhinestones sitting around for a couple months. I got them in an attempt to replace the missing rhinestones on my favorite cocktail ring, but they weren't the right size and I've been trying to think of something to do with them ever since. Well I finally thought of this!

Instructions:
You will need:
small rhinestones of any color
thick fabric
2 earring hooks
silver wire
scissors
glue
black Sharpie

1. cut the fabric into the shape you want the earrings to be. I chose a teardrop, but feel free to try something more creative!

2. glue the rhinestones onto the fabric, covering as much of it as possible.

start like this...

...end up like this!

3. color over the rhinestones with a Sharpie, beginning at the bottom of the earrings. Color about three-quarters of the way to the top of the earring. Then, using a rag you're willing to ruin, rub off the Sharpie from the rhinestones to create the ombre effect.
before and after:

4. use the silver wire to attach the fabric to the earring hooks and voila!


I love the way the black and pink look together. And they're so shiny too! Well, enjoy the new year and the new earrings!

Love, Chloe Darling





No comments:

Post a Comment